For a sports junkie and golfer Sunday and Monday were way beyond fun! All sorts of metaphors come to mind when you think about what Rocco did. David and Goliath, the ’69 Mets, the ’81 Twins to name a few. No, Rocco did not win the tournament but he won the hearts of millions of people, some of whom probably didn’t know the difference between a bunker and a divot.
So how the hell did a journeyman golfer, age 45, get into golf’s equivalent of a dogfight with the best golfer on the planet? By watching Rocco and listening to his interviews these are some of the things that drive this particular guy’s life.
- He’s tough minded, which explains why he has recovered from so many physical issues to continue golfing.
- The man is having fun with a capital F!
- He knows his strengths and limitations and he lives with those without whining.
- This is one of golf’s overused cliches but Rocco knows his swing and he is comfortable with it.
- He connects with people and they give him enormous energy.
- Rocco can focus on the task at hand.
- Nothing intimidates him.
Be tough, know yourself, have fun, enjoy life and people, focus and have no fear are great qualities for any person regardless of what they do. I’m certain that if you looked at all the famous people in history all of them had the majority of these traits. And, in my opinion, salespeople and sales managers have them as well.
The next time doubt creeps into your brain think of Rocco on the back nine when he was 3 strokes down with 8 holes to play. The man calmly birdied three holes in a row to take the lead while sending the message to Woods that he isn’t the only guy on the planet with mental toughness and resolve.
The Final Word: Gutsare a combination of confidence, courage, conviction, strength of character, stick-to-itiveness, pugnaciousness, backbone, and intestinal fortitude. They are mandatory for anyone who wants to get to and stay at the top.” D.A. Benton